We were founded by our grandfather, William Lichty and his grandfather, William Hammond in 1931. During the Great Depression, Bill Lichty lost his job. So, he went to his grandfather who had been a pretzel baker in the late 1800s and asked him to join him in starting a pretzel bakery. They lived in adjoining houses and turned their garages into a bakery. The recipe they used was William Hammond’s so the bakery was named after him. Along the way, William Lichty’s father, Joe (who lived a few houses away) joined in the family business.
Today, we are still in the original location and we are operating with the fourth and fifth generations of the Hammond family. Our names have changed by marriage, but our strong commitment to tradition and quality will never change.
We are featured in the following Newspaper and Magazines:
Lancaster Magazine November 2009
Please click here for our Click here to see how we make our delicious pretzels ...